Saturday, July 5, 2008

Nature Valley Grand Prix – Velonews June 7, 2008

The following is the caption and image from pages 14 & 15 of the July 7th issue of Velonews

TWILIGHT GRIT

With the sun setting behind, Health Net – Maxxis riders Roman Kilun and Tim Johnson led the peloton during the stage 4 twilight criterium at the Nature Valley Grand Prix, held Friday, June 13th in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Health Net’s Kirk O’Bee won the stage, his second of the race, while teammate Rory Sutherland won stage 5 the following day and took the overall classification.



It was 8:45 on Friday the 13th in downtown Minneapolis, and the Men’s Nature Valley Grand Prix Minneapolis Criterium was in the final lap. The sun was setting and with one lap to go the riders were jockeying for position at about 30 mph. The finishing straight is on 10th Avenue heading due east, which makes the finish line shot straight into the sun.

With a low angle, shooting from my knees I was down the course on the right, at a point where the riders swing left to prepare for the next right-hand turn. Although I would normally over expose by 2/3 of a stop shooting with such strong back lighting (to bring out the detail of the riders) at 1/640th and 3200 ISO, my 400 mm f2.8 was wide open!

Here is another shot, this one from the final stage on Sunday, July 15th. I was midway up the brutal Chilkoot hill that is in excess of a 20% grade. The men climb Chilkoot 18 times.



This image is again at 1/640th, f9 and 500 ISO. Again because of the backlighting here I was able to over expose by 1/3 of a stop to bring out the detail in the riders' faces.

4 comments:

Jesse Kelley said...

This Blog is amazing! I stumbled across it after visiting the Mn Thunders site.
I love everything about action photography. I am just getting started but reading your blog and what you do to get cool shots is better than any book I could buy!
Thanks
Jesse

Unknown said...

Good blog - we met the day of the Nature Valley Grand Prix - I was the guy shooting with the strobist setup.

Here's a link to one of my shots (strobe assisted) for the day - The Nature Valley tour was the first time I had shot cycling, and learned that there were many challenges. Luckily, I was able to apply some of what I learned early in the week to the final stages.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacobgibb/2589995859/sizes/o/

Hope to run into you shooting again sometime,

Jacob

Anonymous said...

I am a Sports Photographer in Hong Kong. I found your blog from Strobist. Really appreciated!

Please feel free to visit my flickr album and comment on it.
www.flickr.com/photos/ho_faifai/sets

Thanks
Fai

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.